The former Baron Hirsch Synagogue is for sale! The structure was designed by the Norwegian-born architect George Awsumb in the International Style and constructed by "The Temple Builder of Memphis," Phillip Belz. Additionally, the building is a contributing structure listed in the Vollintine Hills Historic District. This specialty building is eligible for the Federal Historic Preservation Tax Incentives program, which encourages private sector investment in the rehabilitation and re-use of historic buildings. For more information on the program, click HERE. The Tax Incentives program is administered by the National Park Service and the Internal Revenue Service.
The Baron Hirsch Synagogue was completed in two phases. The first phase of construction began in 1950 with the two-story education building (western half of the entire building). The building description from the National Register of Historic Places, Registration Form, described the building as: "a steel-framed and reinforced concrete building with 16 classrooms, an 800 seat assembly hall, a kitchen, and a basement heating plant." The education building was completed in January 1952.
Work on the sanctuary (the eastern half of the entire complex) began in 1955, and it was completed in 1957. The building description from the National Register of Historic Places, Registration Form, described the building as "steel-frame construction with smooth, regular coursed limestone veneer and stepped flat roof, two-story religious building with International Style influence." Additionally, it stated the sanctuary as having a: "Tri-part main entrance located in an accentuated central block with three sets of deliberately obscured 3-panel paired wood entry doors. There is a total of 15 paired entries, including two pairs of single light wood doors located on the north and south ends of the facade and rear elevations to provide auxiliary first-floor entrances. Both elevations have a divided staircase with a solid limestone balustrade."
Judith Johnson & Associates prepared and submitted the application form for the Vollintine Hills Historic District, and the historic district designation was approved by the National Park Service in 2007.
Please contact me by email or by phone to inquire about the purchase of this property.
Photo credit: John Langevin Photography